|"Weird Al used music videos brilliantly. His parodies of both Michael Jackson and Madonna were even more memorable than the original videos themselves."|
Who Can It Be Now
Make the Rock Hall Weird Update Blog
Well, it's April, and we've officially begun that always-fun tradition of contacting the press about this year's campaign.
Since we hope that whatever media attention we may get will bring in some new people to the site, let's get some very basic things crystal clear, things that always seem to lead to some confusion or error. Sorry for the bluntness.
1. YES, we are serious. We want "Weird Al" Yankovic inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his career as rock and roll's foremost satirist.
2. NO, we're not interested in hearing your knee-jerk arguments against such an idea. Our minds have been made up long ago, no matter how much more you may like the Cars.
3. YES, Weird Al is currently eligible. His first national record release was in December 1979. NO, it doesn't matter that it was only a single and that his first album didn't come out until 1983. We've done our homework and we know what we're talking about. We wouldn't have started a campaign in 2004 if he wasn't eligible then.
4. NO, Weird Al does not run this campaign, nor can we put you in touch with him. If you work for the press, then you should already know how to contact his people.
5. YES, we're the same campaign as on MySpace.
6. NO, we're not trying to get him a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. That's another fan campaign.
7. YES, international fans can help out.
And above all, YES we want your help!
Be sure to check out the tour schedule on the site. We need petition volunteers!
Go back to the main Rock Hall page!